Court Fee Waiver (IFP) - Do it Yourself
Authored By: Legal Services State Support
- Step 1 Step 2 Step 3 Step 4 Step 5 Click "Get Started" above to get to the guided interview. If you only want the form by itself, click this link
About this Program
Welcome! This free program helps you create the forms to ask the court for a Fee Waiver. These forms are also called an In Forma Pauperis, or IFP.
The program works by asking you questions. It uses your answers to fill out your form. You can print your form and file it with the court.
It could take an hour to get through the interview. If you don't have enough time to finish, save your answers by creating an account with LawHelp Interactive. You can create an account now or any time during the interview.
Before you start the interview, you need to read the instructions on the next 3 tabs.
To continue, click on the green Step 2 tab above.
About this Fee Waiver
You usually have to pay a fee to file documents in court. If you cannot afford to pay the fee, you can ask the court for a fee waiver. You will file your fee waiver when you file your other court documents.
You may be able to get a fee waiver if you fit into 1 of these 4 categories:
- You receive public assistance.
- You have a low income. Your income must be at or below 125% of the federal poverty level.
- You have a free lawyer because of your low income.
- You can show you do not have enough money to pay the fee and also pay your basic expenses.
Read the Court's Fee Waiver Page for more information.
To continue, click on the green Step 3 tab above.
What Information Do You Need?Before you start the interview, make sure you have the following information.
1. Your paperwork for the case you are filing. You need to first fill out the paperwork for the case you are asking the court to waive the filing fee for.
2. If you get public benefits, proof of your public benefits. This could be something like your MFIP card or a cancelled check from an agency.
3. Proof of your low income. This includes things like paystubs, tax returns, or statements showing your expenses.
To continue, click on the green Step 4 tab above.
This interview works best with Chrome or Firefox internet browsers.You will also need Microsoft Word or Word Viewer. If you don't have Microsoft Word, you can use Word Viewer to view, copy, and print your forms (but it won't let you make changes.) Click here to get Word Viewer for free. (Note: Microsoft Word Pad is not the same as Microsoft Word and will not work with this program.)
To continue, click on the green Step 5 tab above.