COVID-19: Changes in Unemployment Benefits During the Pandemic
Updated April 30, 2020
If your job has been affected by COVID-19, apply for unemployment benefits right away. It’s probably faster to apply online because a lot of people are trying to call right now.
There is a new schedule for starting your application online. If the last digit of your social security number is:
- 0, 1, or 2: apply on Monday between 6am and 8pm
- 3, 4 or 5: apply on Tuesday between 6am and 8pm
- 6, 7, 8 or 9: apply on Wednesday between 6am and 8pm
- Anyone can apply on Thursday and Friday between 6am and 8pm
If you need help applying, the only time you can get help over the phone is on Fridays, 8:00am – 4:30pm.
Twin Cities area: 651-296-3644
Greater Minnesota: 1-877-898-9090
TTY - users: 1-866-814-1252
There is also a schedule if you need to talk to customer service on the phone. Use this link to see when to call for different kinds of questions: https://www.uimn.org/applicants/contact-us/index.jsp.
There are some temporary changes to the rules for unemployment benefits. See our fact sheet Unemployment Benefits for information on the regular rules for unemployment benefits.
Another new law changes more rules for unemployment. The new rules:
- Increase the payment amount. Everyone gets an extra $600 per week.
- Let many self-employed and gig economy workers get unemployment benefits. Apply now. If you already applied and got rejected because you were self-employed, you don't need to apply again.
- Increase how long you can get unemployment
We will update this fact sheet when new details are announced.