It’s Here! Welcome to the newly redesigned! If you have bookmarks or saved links please update them.

Tax Refunds for People with Low Incomes

Authored By
Education for Justice
View or print documents
NOTE: Most of the new changes in tax law DO NOT affect your 2017 taxes.
The new rules matter when you file your 2018 taxes next year.
This fact sheet applies to tax year 2017.

Knowing your tax rights can mean money – sometimes a lot of money – to help your family. It is worth your time to check it out. You may be able to get your taxes done for free. To find help near you, call (651) 297-3724 or United Way at 211 statewide or 1-800-543-7709 from a cell phone. You can also find free help near you by visiting

People who work and earn above certain amounts must file both state and federal income tax returns. Even if you earn below these amounts, you can file to get a refund. Tax forms should be filed by April 17th. You file this year using the income information from the past year. So, in 2018 you file a tax return for 2017. If you owe money, you have to pay penalties and interest on any amount not paid by April 17th.

Federal Credits: Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)

Other Federal Tax Credits

Minnesota Credits and Refunds

If You Have Not Filed, File Now!