Tax Refunds for People with Low Incomes

Authored By
Education for Justice
The deadline to file tax returns has been extended to May 17, 2021

Knowing your tax rights can mean money – sometimes a lot of money – to help your family. It is worth your time to check it out. You may be able to get your taxes done for free. To find help near you, call United Way at 2-1-1 statewide. Or go to their website You can also find free help near you by visiting

People who work and earn above certain amounts must file both state and federal income tax returns. Even if you earn below these amounts, you can file to get a refund. Tax forms should be filed by April 15th. You file this year using the income information from the past year. So, in 2021 you file a tax return for 2020. If you owe money, you will have to pay penalties and interest on any amount you don’t pay by April 15th.

Federal Credits

Minnesota Credits and Refunds

If You Have Not Filed, File Now!