Can I Keep a Pet?
“No Pet” Rules
Many landlords have enforceable "no pet" rules. But even in those places, you may have a right to keep an animal. Different kinds of housing have different rules.
- If you live in public housing, you have the right to a pet.
- If you live in subsidized housing and meet the definition of elderly or disabled, you have the right to a pet.
- If you have a service animal, you have the right to keep it with you. A service animal is an animal specially trained to help you with a disability.
- If your animal is not a service animal, but you are disabled and need it to help you because of your disability, then you might have the right to keep it. The answer will depend on the facts of your case. You may be asked to prove your disability and how it links to your need for the companion animal.
- Most cities have laws about what kind of animal and how many you can have.