Naturalized U.S. Citizens: Proving Your Child’s Citizenship

Authored By
Education for Justice
Immigration fees might change soon. Fee waivers might also change. Read more about these changes here

If you get your U.S. citizenship and you are a parent, your non-citizen children also become citizens in some cases. This is called “derived” citizenship. BUT you still need to get documents like a certificate of citizenship or a passport, to PROVE that your child is a citizen. This fact sheet tells you how to get these documents. 

This fact sheet does not give information about the process of getting documents to prove citizenship for children born in the U.S., children born outside the U.S. to U.S. citizen parents, or children adopted by U.S. citizens. 

This fact sheet talks about forms found on the internet. If you don’t have a computer, you can use one at any public library. You can also call the agency mentioned and ask them to send you the form.

Applying for the Certificate of Citizenship (N-600)

Applying for a Passport for your Child