How does the COVID-19 pandemic affect my legal rights?
See our COVID-19 Section


SSI For Noncitizens

Authored By
Education for Justice
View or print documents

SSI is a federal program that gives monthly benefits to low-income people. To get SSI, you have to be 65 or older or so disabled you can’t work. There are more rules and limits if you are a noncitizen. Even if you are in the U.S. permanently and legally and you are at least 65 or disabled, you may not be able to get SSI.