My Old Job Owes Me Money : Wage Claims

If you left or lost your job and were not paid all of your wages, you can make a “wage claim” against your employer. You can get all the money that you earned before you stopped work, even if you left on bad terms. You may be able to get more money as a penalty if your employer did not follow the law about paying your wages after you stopped work.

Minnesota law has steps to follow to make a wage claim. If you were an independent contractor or had a written job contract, the rules may be different. Read your personnel policy manual or contract. Not all policies or contracts are legal, so call a lawyer if you have questions. This fact sheet is for employees not independent contractors.

See our fact sheet Job Status and Your Rights.