Becoming a U.S. Citizen
What do I get as a citizen?
Here are some things to know if you are thinking about becoming a U.S. citizen. When you become a U.S. citizen you get these things:
- The right to vote.
- You can leave and re-enter the country more easily.
- You can usually help family members come to live in the U.S. more quickly.
- Your children under 18 often become U.S. citizens automatically.
- You can’t be deported. Non-citizens who commit crimes can be deported in many cases.
- You can apply for jobs in the federal government.
- Better rights with some welfare programs like MFIP and SSI.
- You can get a U.S. passport
- You can often get better customer service when visiting U.S. embassies.